You can trust our products to be the fresh, pure, sustainably produced — and of the highest product quality. We have the resources to ensure high quality products that contain no adulteration, fillers or questionable ingredients, and we never make false or empty claims about products.
Once herbs and spices arrive at Frontier, every aspect of their handling is done with quality in mind.
• Climate controlled storage (70 degrees Fahrenheit and 60% relative humidity) to preserve freshness and chemically active plant constituents.
• Strict sanitation rules enforced through regular inspections by Quality Assurance.
• Product handling, processing and packaging systems set up to maximize the quality of the final product.
• Exposure to moisture and heat minimized at all times. Grinding of spices and herbs is done cryogenically at temperatures below -20 degrees Fahrenheit.
• We use a sophisticated computerized inventory system that allows any herb or spice, even a minor ingredient in a blend, to be instantly located or traced back to its origin.
• Herbs and spices are packaged in materials that ensure the optimum quality of a product -- foil laminate pouches, glass bottles, or plastic bags double-bagged in paper.
• Frontier does not sell any products or use any ingredients that have been sterilized by irradiation or ethylene oxide (ETO). We utilize safe and effective steam sterilization to preserve product quality (see below).
• Processes are in place to prevent allergen contamination and allergens are identified on labels if present.
• Each of our items is freshness dated with a use-by date that ensures maximum flavor.
Our highly qualified Quality Assurance staff — a team of trained technicians led by Ravin Donald, Ph.D. — tests products thoroughly upon their arrival and throughout their processing and packaging here at our facility. Here are some of tests we use to ensure we're providing you with the best natural products available:
• HPLC (high performance liquid chromatography) testing measures active constituent levels in herbs.
• Microanalysis reveals cellular structure of plants to determine identity and adulteration.
• Microbiological testing detects yeast, mold and bacterial pathogens.
• Organoleptic testing consists of taste, smell and sight tests to determine quality and screen out adulterated product.
A key safeguard of product safety is sterilization to eliminate pathogens such as Salmonella. We employ SteamSafe®, a state-of-the-art steam sterilization system that allows us to offer safe, flavorful spices to our customers without using irradiation or ethylene oxide (ETO), a chemical that cannot be used on organic products.