Baked Chicken Empanadas with Smoked Paprika
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Hands-on Time: 30 mins
- Makes: 18 to 20 servings
Making your own homemade chicken empanadas may sound a little daunting — but this recipe breaks down the process to make it simple and fun! Spiced with smoked paprika, cumin and chili power, then baked in the oven until golden-brown, we think you'll really like 'em.
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Frontier Coarse Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Cumin Seed
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Smoked Ground Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Chili Powder
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 small chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon room temperature water
1. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a large food processor, combine flour, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt. Pulse until well combined.
2. Add butter and pulse until butter is broken up into pieces the size of large peas.
3. Slowly begin to add water, while the mixer or food processor maintains medium speed, just until the dough mixture begins to come together.
4. Turn dough onto a clean floured surface and form into 2 equal-sized disks. Cover in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours or up to a week.
5. While the dough mixture chills, prepare the empanada filling. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
6. In a large mixing bowl, combine chicken, cream cheese, cheese, bell pepper, jalapeño pepper, tomato, onion, garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir until well combined. Taste for flavor and add more spices or salt if desired.
7. Roll out one of the discs of pie crust on a floured surface to make 1 15-inch circle. Use a 3-to-4-inch cookie cutter or the mouth of a small bowl to cut out rounds of dough. Re-roll dough scraps and repeat with second disc of dough until you have 18 to 20 rounds for empanada crust.
8. Measure 1 heaping tablespoons of chicken filling and place it on the center of one of the dough rounds. Fold dough in half like a taco and press edges together. Use a fork to crimp edge so empanada stays sealed while baking. Repeat for remaining dough rounds and filling.
9. Whisk together 1 egg white and 1 tablespoon water. Lightly brush surface of each empanada with egg wash and place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for 22 to 30 minutes, until empanadas are golden-brown and crispy. (For best results, bake one sheet of empanadas at a time).
10. Serve hot and enjoy!