- Total Time: 15 mins
- Hands-on Time: 15 mins
Upgrade this classic condiment with spicy mustard seed, aromatic onion and garlic, and earthy, golden turmeric. Once you start enjoying this thick, grainy spread on sandwiches, pretzels and more, homemade mustard will become a staple in your refrigerator! For an alcohol-free version, see Chef's Suggestions.
- 1/2 cup Frontier Organic Whole Yellow Mustard Seed
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Table Grind Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Turmeric Root
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup hoppy beer
- 4 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
1. In a non-metallic bowl, combine mustard seeds, beer and apple cider vinegar. Leave mixture in the bowl on the counter for 4 to 8 hours, until the seeds double in volume.
2. Pour the seeds and remaining liquid in the bowl of a food processor. Add the salt, onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric and honey (or maple syrup).
3. Pulse the ingredients for 5 minutes, until desired consistency. Add a tablespoon more of beer or apple cider vinegar if a thinner consistency is desired.
4. Spoon the mustard into an airtight container, such as a glass jar. Allow the mustard to sit for at least two days in the fridge before use. Store in refrigerator for one month.
Yields 1 1/2 cup mustard