Black Bean and Salsa Soup
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Hands-on Time: 15 mins
- Makes: 4 servings
Creamy black bean soup, bulked up with beef broth powder and salsa, then spiced right with organic cumin, oregano and thyme.
- 3/4 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Cumin Seed
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Cut & Sifted Oregano Leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon Frontier Organic Whole Thyme Leaf
- 1/4 cup Frontier No-Beef Broth Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 pound canned black beans, drained
- 1 cup tomatoes, crushed
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons scallions, finely chopped
1. In a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onions and sauté 4 to 5 minutes, until onion turns golden. Stir in cumin, oregano and thyme. Sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly.
2. Transfer mixture to a food processor or blender. Add black beans, tomatoes, broth powder and salsa. Puree until well blended and smooth.
3. Return mixture to pan and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and scallions. Serve hot.