Bread and Butter Pickled Zucchini
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Hands-on Time: 10 mins
Cucumbers aren't the only produce with bread and butter pickling potential!
- 1/4 cup Frontier Organic Pickling Spice
- 1/2 cup Frontier Organic Fair Trade Certified Cane Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Whole Yellow Mustard Seed
- 2 teaspoons Frontier Organic Whole Celery Seed
- 1/8 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Turmeric Root
- 2 pounds small zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 pound small pearl onions
- ice cubes
- 1 cup cider vinegar
1. In a small bowl, toss zucchini and onion with salt. Cover with ice cubes. Let stand for two hours, then drain.
2. In a saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, and spices and bring to a boil. Add the zucchini and onions, reduce heat, and simmer 6-7 minutes.
3. Pack the vegetables loosely into canning jars. Pour the liquid over the vegetables, leaving 1/2 inch space at the top.
4. Cover jars and process for ten minutes in a boiling water bath. Place the cooled jars in a dark cupboard for about a month before opening.