Butterflied Cornish Hens with Sage Butter
Cornish hens are butterflied and brought to life with homemade sage butter lemon, black pepper and sage butter in this recipe.
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Sage Leaf
- Frontier Organic Tellicherry Black Peppercorns with Grinder
- 4 (1 3/4-pound) Cornish game hens, butterflied
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 lemon, zested
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 strips cooked bacon, crumbled roughly
1. Onto a baking sheet fitted with a cooking rack in the refrigerator, place hens and let skin dry for 1 hour.
2. In a small pan over medium heat, heat butter, sage, lemon zest, salt and pepper until butter is melted.
3. Preheat over to 425 degrees.
4. In 2 large sauté pans over medium heat, heat oil. Season hens with salt and pepper and sear, skin side down, in the pans for about 7 to 10 minutes, until skin caramelizes and turns golden brown and crispy.
5. Flip hens over and baste with sage butter. Sprinkle tops with bacon, then place in oven for 25 to 30 minutes, basting occasionally. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.