Butternut Squash Hash with Rainbow Chard and Sausage
At a whopping eight servings, this hearty and savory butternut squash hash is the perfect dish to treat houseguests to breakfast or brunch over the holidays. It features savory rosemary, thyme and garlic mixed with a colorful array of potatoes, squash and sausage, all topped with a glorious fried egg.
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Whole Rosemary Leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Whole Thyme Leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Organic Garlic Powder
- Frontier Table Grind Sea Salt
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups diced butternut squash (1/2-inch dice)
- 3 cups red potatoes (1/2-inch dice)
- 4 small shallots, diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bunch rainbow chard (leafy greens only) roughly chopped
- 8 fried eggs, for serving
1. In a large 12-inch skillet on moderate heat, add the breakfast sausage and cook until no longer pink. Use a slotted spoon to remove the sausage to a separate dish, leaving the drippings in the pan.
2. In the same pan, sauté the diced shallots until just soft and remove them to the plate with the cooked sausage.
3. Add the butter and olive oil to the remaining sausage drippings. Once the butter has melted, add in the butternut squash and potatoes. Cook for 8-10 minutes without stirring.
4. Next, add in the rosemary, thyme and garlic powder. Give it another stir and then pour in the water, scraping up any bits that have accumulated on the bottom of the pan. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and let the water steam the squash and potatoes.
5. Once the potatoes and squash are fork-tender, add the sausage, shallots and rainbow chard leaves. Cook until the chard has wilted. Taste test and then season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
6. Serve with a fried egg on top.
Vegetarian option Omit the sausage and egg. Increase the butter and olive oil to 2 tablespoons of each.