Cardamom Chai Tea Ice Cream
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Hands-on Time: 10 mins
- Makes: 12 servings
The ultimate experience of exotically-spiced chai tea meets the creamy luxury of homemade vanilla ice cream. Breakfast teas are blends of robust black teas that yield a bold, full-bodied flavor that works well with creamer and sweetener -- which is why they work well in ice cream recipes.
- 2 Frontier Whole Vanilla Beans
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups Frontier Organic Fair Trade Certified Cane Sugar
- 4 teaspoons Frontier Organic Fair Trade Certified Irish Breakfast Tea Blend
- 5 Frontier Organic 2 3/4" Korintje Cinnamon Sticks
- 8 Frontier Organic Whole Green Cardamom Pods
- 4 Frontier Organic Select Grade Star Anise
- 4 Frontier Organic Black Peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Orange Peel Granules
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Organic Decorticated Cardamom Seed Powder
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 ginger root slices
- 3 large eggs
1. With a knife, halve the vanilla beans lengthwise and scrape the seeds into a medium saucepan.
2. Add the vanilla pods, cream, half and half, milk, sugar, tea and spices to pan. Bring mixture just to a boil, stirring occasionally, and remove pan from heat. Let mixture steep for 30 minutes.
3. Strain steeped mixture and return to saucepan.
4. In a bowl, slightly beat the eggs. Temper the eggs into the cream mixture, making sure to continually whisk the mixture. Cook mixture over low heat until it reaches 170 degrees.
5. Pour mixture through a sieve into a clean bowl and cool. Refrigerate overnight then freeze according to your ice cream maker directions.