Cardamom Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Hands-on Time: 10 mins
- Makes: 8 to 10 servings
A great way to highlight spring rhubarb, this show stopper upside down cake recipe spiced with cardamom has just the right amount of sweetness to balance the tartness of the rhubarb.
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Decorticated Cardamom Seed Powder 2.11 oz.
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Coarse Sea Salt 5 lb.
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups rhubarb (frozen or fresh)
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9-inch spring form pan.
2. In bottom of pan, combine brown sugar and butter, then place in the oven for 4 to 5 minutes, just long enough to melt the butter. Remove from oven, add 1/2 teaspoon cardamom and stir until well combined. Sprinkle rhubarb over the brown sugar mixture in an even layer.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir until well combined. In a separate bowl, combine milk, eggs and melted butter. Whisk until well combined.
4. Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour over the rhubarb.
5. Bake cake for 45 to 55 minutes, until top is golden and a knife comes out clean when inserted. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the outside edge. Remove sides of spring form and carefully flip the cake onto another pan. Run a knife between the top of the cake and the spring form bottom, lifting to separate. Let cake cool completely.
6. To serve, whisk together powdered sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, then using a sifter or sieve, sprinkle the mixture over the cake.