Coriander Roasted Tomatillo Jam
- Total Time: 1 hours 30 mins
Disguised by a roasted color, this homemade jam is full of fresh, green flavors. Roasted tomatillos, fragrant coriander seed, spicy jalapeno chili pepper flakes and zippy lime juice create an unusual, sweet-heat flavor combination that you won't find in most syrupy jam recipes.
- 2 teaspoons Frontier Organic Ground Coriander Seed
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Crushed Red Chili Peppers
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Cumin Seed
- 1 cup Frontier Organic Fair Trade Certified Cane Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Table Grind Sea Salt
- 2 pounds tomatillos
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1 lime, juiced
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Remove the wrappers from the tomatillos. Cut the tomatillos in half. Toss the tomatillos in 1 tablespoon olive oil and place on a roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, for 30 minutes, until the tomatillos are soft and juicy.
3. Remove the roasting pan from the oven and set aside.
4. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and onions. Saute the onions until translucent, about 5 minutes.
5. While the onions are cooking, add the jalapenos and coriander seeds to a spice grinder or mortar and pestle. Pulse for 10 seconds (if using a spice grinder), or grind in a mortar and pestle until the mixture reaches a medium grind.
6. Make a well in the center of the saucepan, add coriander/jalapeno mixture, ground cumin and garlic powder. Cook for one minute, or until fragrant. Stir the spice mixture into the onions.
7. Add the roasted tomatillos, any roasted tomatillo juice, sugar, water and salt to the saucepan. Stir the ingredients to combine. Bring the jam to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Use a potato masher to mash the tomatillos. Simmer the jam for 45 minutes.
8. After 45 minutes, remove from heat. The jam will thicken as it cools. Store in glass jars in the refrigerator or freezer, or can in a water bath or pressure canner.
Yields 4 cups jam