Cranberry Apple Pie
- Total Time: 1 hours 45 mins
- Hands-on Time: 45 mins
- Makes: 8 servings
A staple in fall baking, apple pie is one of the most common desserts at family gatherings. In this recipe, apples share the spotlight with tart cranberries for a sweet and tangy treat. Serve this homemade pie warm with scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 2 teaspoons Frontier Organic Orange Peel Granules 1 lb
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Table Grind Sea Salt 5 lb
- 3/4 cup Frontier Organic Fair Trade Certified Cane Sugar 5 lb.
- 3/4 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Korintje Cinnamon 1.90 oz.
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Organic Allspice Powder 1.83 oz.
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Vanilla Extract 2 fl. oz.
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Nutmeg 1.90 oz.
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Cloves 1.90 oz.
- 1/8 teaspoon Frontier Table Grind Sea Salt 5 lb
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Organic Decorticated Cardamom Seed Powder 2.08 oz.
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Fair Trade Certified Cane Sugar 5 lb.
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Korintje Cinnamon 1.90 oz.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, cold and diced into cubes
- 8-10 teaspoons cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup cranberries (if frozen, thawed)
- 4 cups peeled and sliced Granny Smith apples
- 1 teaspoon milk
1. Sift flour and salt into a large bowl. Stir in orange peel.
2. Using a pastry cutter or a fork, cut in butter cubes until pea-sized crumbs are formed.
3. Add water, one tablespoon at a time, until dough is moist enough to hold together.
4. Gather dough into a ball and use a large knife to cut into two halves. Roll out each dough half into a 10-inch round, approximately 1/8-inch thick.
1. Combine cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, salt, sugar, and flour in a large bowl with a fork.
2. Mix in lemon juice and vanilla extract.
3. Toss cranberries and apples into mixture.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Line a 9-inch pie pan with one of the crusts. Use a knife along the edge of the pan to cut away excess dough.
3. Pour apple and cranberry mixture into lined pan.
4. Top mixture with second crust. Use a knife to cut crust along the edge of the pan, then pinch the top and bottom crusts together.
5. Crimp crust edges together using your thumb and two fingers. Use a sharp knife to cut steam vents in top crust.
6. Brush crust with milk.
7. To make topping, combine sugar with cinnamon and cardamom. Sprinkle over crust.
8. Bake for about 1 hour, until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.