Creamy Oyster Stew with Cayenne
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Hands-on Time: 10 mins
- Makes: 5 servings
Sprinkle traditional oyster stew with cayenne for a pop of color and heat in this gluten-free recipe.
- 3 teaspoons Frontier Organic Cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Table Grind Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Medium Grind Black Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Cayenne Chili Pepper
- 1 pound shucked oysters in their liquid
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 pound scallops, cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons minced chives
1. Drain the oysters, reserving their liquid. Measure out 3/4 cup of the liquid and set aside.
2. In a pot, melt butter over medium-low heat. Once butter is fully melted, whisk in cornstarch and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until a paste forms. Whisk oyster liquid into the cornstarch mixture and let thicken, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Once starting to thicken, whisk in milk, salt, pepper and cayenne. Continue to cook and whisk until the milk is hot and thick.
4. Lower heat to low and add the oysters to the pot. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, just until the edges start to curl. Add scallops and cook for 1 minute more, just until the scallops are opaque. Stir in chives and serve stew warm.
Note Shucked oysters can be found in the frozen seafood section of many grocery stores.