Dairy-Free Coconut Eggnog
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Hands-on Time: 10 mins
- Makes: 4 servings
A rich, comforting drink, eggnog is like a Christmas cookie in a glass. The eggnog tradition began in 17th-century well-to-do European social gatherings as an adaptation of various milk and wine punches. Eggs and milk were scarce commodities in Europe, and you can thank the American colonists for the addition of rum when it was brought to the New World. Enjoy this dairy-free version of a classic holiday favorite!
- Frontier Organic Ground Nutmeg
- 6 Frontier Organic Whole Green Cardamom Pods
- 1 Frontier Organic 2 3/4" Korintje Cinnamon Sticks
- 5 Frontier Organic Allspice Powder
- 1/2 cup Frontier Organic Fair Trade Certified Cane Sugar
- 1 Frontier Organic Whole Vanilla Bean
- 2 cans (13-ounces each) first pressed coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon white granulated sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 2/3 cup bourbon, brandy or aged rum (optional)
1. Combine the coconut milk and spices in a heavy-bottomed pan and bring to a simmer. In a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks and sugar until the yolks lighten in color.
2. Stirring constantly, add 1/2 cup of hot coconut mixture to the yolks to temper (adding a little at a time to gently heat); once combined, add back to hot coconut mixture. Stir until mixture reaches 160 degrees or thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.
3. Remove from heat, strain out the spices and chill. If desired, stir in the spirit at this time.
4. When ready to serve, whisk the egg whites and 1 tablespoon sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold in the custard and pour into glasses. Top with grated nutmeg.