Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Hazelnut Cinnamon Ganache
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Hands-on Time: 10 mins
- Makes: 12 servings
Beautiful dark chocolate cupcakes meet warm organic cinnamon and toasted hazelnuts.
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Vanilla Extract 2 fl. oz.
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Baking Soda Powder 1 lb
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Aluminum-Free Baking Powder 5 lbs
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Fine Sea Salt 7 oz.
- 1/2 cup Frontier Organic Fair Trade Certified Non-Alkalized Cocoa Powder 1 lb
- 3/4 teaspoon Frontier Organic Fair Trade Certified Ground Ceylon Cinnamon 1.76 oz.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups dark chocolate chunks, divided
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Toasted hazelnuts, for topping
1. In a double boiler over medium heat, slowly melt 1/4 cup dark chocolate chunks, stirring continuously, then remove from heat.
2. With a mixer, beat softened butter and sugar together. Add eggs and vanilla, scraping down the sides. Add melted chocolate and stir until well combined.
3.In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to the wet, along with milk and beat until batter is well combined.
4. Divide batter into 12 cupcake liners. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until a knife comes out clean when inserted. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then move to a cooling rack to finish.
5. While the cupcakes are baking, combine remaining 1 cup dark chocolate and heavy cream in double boiler. Heat over medium heat, stirring continuously, until chocolate has completely melted and is thoroughly combined with cream. Remove from heat and stir in cinnamon. Let cool until thickened but not too hardened to stir.
To frost the cupcakes, use a spoon to whip ganache until it lightens slightly in color. Spread about 2 tablespoons on top of each cupcake, then sprinkle with cinnamon and chopped toasted hazelnuts. If the ganache hardens before you frost your cupcakes, heat over double boiler until soft and smooth.