Dog Days Old Fashioned
This spicy and tropical libation is a great introduction to the world of old-fashioned bourbon cocktails. It mixes elements of summer and fall with a heat and smokiness that lingers and plays perfectly against the lime.
- 1 tablespoon Frontier Organic Fair Trade Certified Cane Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Frontier Alder Smoked Salt Grinder
- 1 1/5 ounces Frontier Organic Cider Mate Mulling Spice
- 1 cup Frontier Organic Crystallized Ginger Cubes
- 1 1/4 cups Frontier Organic Fair Trade Certified Cane Sugar
- 1 1/2 ounces fine bourbon
- 1 ounce lime
- 6 dashes Peychaud bitters
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
- 2 cups water
For the Old Fashioned
1. In a cocktail shaker, mix bourbon, 1-ouncesimple syrup, lime and bitters. Fill shaker with ice cubes and shake for 30 seconds or until shaker becomes frosty.
2. Rim an Old Fashioned glass with a wedge of lime. On a medium-size salad plate, mix the salt and sugar and gently turn the glass in the mixture.
3. Toss in a few cubes of mulled ice cubes
For the ice cubes
1. In a saucepan, bring water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
2. Add lemon juice and mulling spice. Place cover on pan and let simmer 10 minutes.
3. Strain spices and place liquid in ice cube tray. Freeze until solid.
For the simple syrup
1. Combine water and ginger and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and let sit for 1 hour.
2. Turn off heat, stir in sugar and let steep until cool, about 1 1/2 hours.
3. Strain liquid through a fine mesh sieve or strainer into an airtight, sterile jar.
4. Store syrup in a tightly sealed contained for up to 1 month.