European Sweet Breakfast Bread
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Hands-on Time: 10 mins
- Makes: 15 servings
This sweet bread makes any breakfast just a little sweeter. With tangy raisins, sweet honey and nutty almonds, this crumbly, dense European bread is best served warm with butter or cream cheese. You can wrap it and store overnight to make it easier to slice.
- 2 teaspoons Frontier Organic Cut & Sifted Lemon Peel
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Whole Decorticated Cardamom Seed
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 2 cups organic unbleached all-purpose flour
- 16 whole blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup butter or soy margarine, softened
1. In a medium-size bowl dissolve yeast in warm milk. Stir in 1/2 cup flour until smooth. Let rise in a warm place until bubbly and doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
2. Generously butter a 10-inch bread pan. Arrange whole almonds in an attractive pattern on the bottom.
3. Beat butter and honey in a large bowl. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Stir down yeast mixture. Mix with butter-egg mixture, then add spices, 1 cup of flour, chopped almonds and raisins. Stir with a wooden spoon until well blended. Knead in remaining flour, and place in prepared pan.
5. Cover with wax paper and a clean towel and let rise until doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 10 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees, and continue baking 40 minutes longer, or until nicely browned and a wooden pick comes out clean. (If loaf browns too quickly, cover loosely with a square of foil.) Leave in pan for 3 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack, Cool completely.