Fresh-Pack Dill Pickles
- Total Time: 25 mins
Homemade pickles are a tangy treat. Making your own lets you experiment with different kinds of spices, brines and vinegars for the perfect-tasting pickle. This recipe features dill and mustard seed, pickling spice and sea salt to create fresh pickle flavor.
- 3/4 cup Frontier Table Grind Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons Frontier Organic Pickling Spice
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Whole Dill Seed
- 2 teaspoons Frontier Organic Whole Yellow Mustard Seed
- 17 to 18 pounds cucumbers, 3 to 5 inches in length
- 2 gallons 5 percent brine (3/4 cup salt per gallon water)
- 6 cups vinegar
- 9 cups water
- 1/2 garlic clove
1. Wash cucumbers thoroughly, scrub with vegetable brush, and drain. Cover with brine. Let set overnight. Drain.
2. Combine vinegar, salt, water, and mixed pickling spices. (Tie spices in a clean, white cloth bag or spice ball.)
3. Heat to boiling. Pack cucumbers in hot, sterilized quart jars. Add mustard seed, garlic, and dill to each jar. Cover with boiling liquid to within 1/4 inch of top of jar. Adjust seals and process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.