Fresh Tomato Marinara Sauce
Put your garden tomatoes, fresh garlic cloves and crunchy green peppers to good use with this zesty tomato marinara sauce recipe. This homemade version has flavor you can't find in canned varieties with aromatic nuances of basil, oregano, sea salt and fennel seeds. Pour sauce over cooked pasta, lasagna or use on pizza.
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Cut & Sitfed Sweet Basil Leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Cut & Sifted Oregano Leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Table Grind Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Organic Whole Fennel Seed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups (about 3 large), peeled, chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (6-ounces) salt-free tomato paste
- 2` teaspoons granulated sugar
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, green pepper and garlic. Cook, uncovered, 2 to 3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until tomatoes are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes; stir occasionally. Cool 5 minutes.
2. Place cooled tomato mixture in blender, 1 or more cups at a time. Cover and blend at stir setting for about 30 seconds after each addition. Blend at purée about 30 seconds.
3. Return mixture to saucepan. Simmer over low heat about 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.