Gingered Butternut Pie in Walnut Cereal Crust
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Hands-on Time: 20 mins
- Makes: 6 servings
Butternut squash pie is not a new concept in the foodie world, but when poured into a crunchy walnut cereal crust and tossed with spicy-sweet crystalized ginger, it becomes a new taste sensation. Serve this dessert cold, or slightly frozen, for a unique take on traditionally savory squash pie.
- 1/4 cup Frontier Organic Fair Trade Certified Cane Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Korintje Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Ginger Root
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Table Grind Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons Frontier Organic Crystallized Ginger Cubes
- 3 teaspoons walnut oil
- 1 cup cooked butternut squash
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 cups organic, lowfat vanilla yogurt
- 6 cups natural toasted squares cereal
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Using a rolling pin, crush cereal. (You’ll have about 1-1/2 cups.) In a mixing bowl, combine cereal, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon. Add walnut oil, toss together with a fork until well mixed. Press mixture firmly onto the bottom and sides of a 9-inch, deep-dish glass pie plate. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine butternut squash, molasses, ground ginger, salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Mix well. Fold in yogurt until blended throughout. Place mixture into prepared crust. Sprinkle crystallized ginger decoratively over top.
4. Freeze at least 2 hours, or until very firm. Place pie into refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes before serving.