- Total Time: 45 mins
- Hands-on Time: 10 mins
Biscotti bakes twice to reach its crispy texture – which means more opportunity to enjoy the aroma of this recipe’s merry mixture of organic ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and cloves.
- 2 teaspoons Frontier Organic Ground Ginger Root
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Korintje Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Aluminum-Free Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Table Grind Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Decorticated Cardamom Seed Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Frontier Organic Fair Trade Certified Cane Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Frontier Organic Crystallized Ginger Cubes
- 2 teaspoons Frontier Organic Fair Trade Certified Cane Sugar
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and cover a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Combine the unbleached flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, cloves and sea salt in a bowl and stir, set aside. In a large bowl with a sturdy spoon, beat together softened butter, molasses and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; continue until mixture is well combined. Add in dry ingredients and continue to stir until well combined. Stir in crystalized ginger.
3. Divide the dough in half and pat each half into a log that is roughly 8 inches by 6 inches. Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 25 minutes until starting to brown and is crisp on top. Remove from oven and let cool slightly, 10 to 15 minutes.
4. With a serrated knife, cut each loaf into 1/2-inch slices. Place one of the cut sides down and return biscotti to oven. Bake for 5 minutes, flip and bake for another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely to crisp. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for four to five days.
Yields 1 1/2 dozen.