Gluten-Free Maple Vanilla Bean Apple Pie
- Total Time: 1 hours 35 mins
- Hands-on Time: 25 mins
- Makes: 9 servings
Redefine a classic with the oat and pecan-based crust in this gluten-free apple pie recipe, while keeping the dessert’s beloved combination of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- 2 teaspoons Frontier Organic Ground Korintje Cinnamon 1.90 oz.
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Nutmeg 1.90 oz.
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Cloves 1.90 oz.
- 1 Frontier Whole Vanilla Beans 2 beans
- 1/3 cup Frontier Organic Fair Trade Certified Cane Sugar 5 lb.
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Table Grind Sea Salt 5 lb
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 6 large Granny Smith apples
- 3 tablespoons sweet rice flour
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup sorghum syrup
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1 1/4 cups oats
- 1 1/2 cups pecans
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
1. A few hours or the night before, peel and slice apples into even, 1/4-inch thick slices and toss with lemon juice and flour.
2. In a small pot, combine maple syrup, sorghum syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Split the vanilla bean in half and scrape out the vanilla into the pot as well. Heat over low until warm and starting to bubble around the edges, whisking occasionally. Pour over apples and toss until apples are coated. Cover and set aside. If overnight, store in the refrigerator.
3. When ready to bake the pie, preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a 9-inch pie pan.
4. In a food processor, pulse oats to a coarse flour consistency. Remove oats and place pecans in the food processor, pulsing again, to resemble coarse meal but careful not to make nut butter. Add oats back into the food processor along with butter, salt and brown rice syrup. Pulse mixture a few more times until it is well combined and starts to form a ball.
5. Take the oat mixture and press into the pie pan to form the crust. Bake the crust for 12 to 15 minutes until set and lightly brown. Remove crust from oven and add filling.
6. To make crumble, place 3/4 cup oats in a food processor and pulse until it resembles coarse flour. Add the sugar, remaining oats and butter. Pulse until everything is just combined. Sprinkle and pat crumble over the filling.
7. Bake pie until filling is bubbling and the crumble is browning, 45 to 55 minutes. Transfer pie to a rack and let cool before serving.
Note Ensuring the apple slices are the same thickness will help the pie bake and set well. Using a mandolin or apple peeler can help with this task.