Gluten-Free Turkey and Gravy
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Hands-on Time: 20 mins
- Makes: 7 servings
Celebrate healthfully with this gluten-free turkey and gravy recipe, accented by fragrant black pepper and smoked sea salt.
- Frontier Organic Medium Grind Black Pepper 1.80 oz.
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Medium Grind Black Pepper 1.80 oz.
- 2 teaspoons Frontier Alder Smoked Salt Grinder 3.2 oz.
- 6 teaspoons Frontier Low Sodium Vegetable Flavored Broth Powder 1 lb
- Frontier Table Grind Sea Salt 5 lb
- 1 12-pound turkey
- 1/3 cup softened unsalted butter
- 5 to 6 rosemary sprigs
- 2 cups turkey juice + vegetable broth
- 3 teaspoons sweet rice flour
- 1 cup whole milk, cold
Directions for the Turkey
1. Smear the butter under the skin and over the turkey using your hands or the back of a spoon; making sure to cover as much of the turkey as possible.
2. Place the vegetable broth in the bottom of the roasting pan and add the sprigs of rosemary to the cavity. Stick the meat thermometer to the thickest part of the turkey and place the turkey on the lowest rack in the oven.
3. Every 30 to 45 minutes, baste the turkey and after 1 1/2 hours, check the temperature of the turkey. If turkey is browning too fast, cover the top with tinfoil. Bake until the turkey reaches at least 165 degrees in all parts.
4. When turkey is done, remove the rack with the turkey from the roasting pan and set aside. Cover turkey with tinfoil and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
Directions for the Gravy
1. From the turkey drippings, remove any large pieces of turkey using a slotted spoon. Measure out 2 cups of the juices, adding extra vegetable broth if needed to reach 2 cups.
2. Return the liquid to the roasting pan and place pan over two burners set to medium-low.
3. In a jar with a lid, combine the sweet rice flour and cold milk. Shake until the two are combined and the sweet rice flour is dissolved into the milk.
4. Pour the milk mixture into the roasting pan. Continue to cook and stir the gravy until thickened. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.