Grilled Sea Scallops with Grilled Romaine and Citrus Salad
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Hands-on Time: 15 mins
- Makes: 4 servings
Our Blackened Organic Seafood Seasoning creates a caramelized sear on these succulent scallops, while lightly charred romaine introduces salad to the goodness of grilling.
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Blackened Seafood Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Cut & Sifted Oregano Leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Table Grind Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Organic Medium Grind Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Kosher Salt Flakes
- Frontier Organic Coarse Grind Black Pepper
- 20 large sea scallops (approximately 3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 hearts of romaine, washed and dried
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 orange, segmented
- 1 grapefruit, segmented
- 1 avocado, pit removed and sliced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, minced
1. Preheat your grill. Real wood charcoal tastes best, but gas works fine. Avoid instant-light briquettes as they make food taste like lighter fluid. Aim for medium-high heat – if your grill lid has a thermometer built into the lid, it should read about 375 degrees.
2. Pat scallops dry and toss in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Coat with Blackened Organic Seafood Seasoning.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together 11⁄2 tablespoons olive oil, red wine vinegar, dried oregano, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper.
4. Cut the romaine hearts in half lengthwise and brush with vinaigrette.
5. Grill the romaine, cut side down, for 2 minutes, until it starts to brown. Flip and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes to get some color on it. Transfer to a plate.
6. Grill scallops for 3 minutes. Using tongs, flip the scallops and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, depending on the size of the scallops. Set them aside on a plate.
7. In a bowl, whisk together the honey, lime juice, cilantro, 1 teaspoon Kosher salt and 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper until combined.
8. To make the salad, plate each romaine wedge and top with citrus segments and sliced avocado. Drizzle dressing over salad.
9. Add 5 scallops to each plate next to the salad and serve.