Harissa Focaccia Bread
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Hands-on Time: 15 mins
- Makes: 16 servings
Put an ethnic twist on traditional focaccia bread with this harissa-seasoned bread recipe. Tunisian harissa seasoning gives this dense bread a spicy and robust flavor, making it perfect to serve with deli meats and cheese or to dip into a harissa-based dip or spread for more zip.
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Fair Trade Certified Cane Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Table Grind Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Harissa Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
1. In a medium bowl, mix yeast, sugar and water. Let sit about 10 minutes, or until milky.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt and 1 tablespoon Harissa Seasoning. Create a well in the middle of the mixture.
3. Once the yeast mixture is ready, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and yeast mixture into the well. When dough has pull together, place in a bowl and add 1 tablespoon olive oil, and slightly knead into the dough (about 1 to 2 minutes). Cover dough with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place for at least 20 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
5. When dough is ready, knead for about a minute, and then place on a greased baking sheet. Pat into a ½-inch thick circle. Brush with 1 teaspoon olive oil, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon Harissa Seasoning and cheeses. Pat down the cheese.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.