Hibiscus Wild Cherry Ale
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Hands-on Time: 5 mins
This natural soft drink gets its fruity tang and brilliant red color from hibiscus blossoms and dried cherries.
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Cut & Sifted Wild Cherry Bark 1 lb
- 1/4 cup Frontier Cut & Sifted Hibiscus Flowers 1 lb
- 2 cups Frontier Organic Fair Trade Certified Cane Sugar 5 lb.
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup dried cherries, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces (do not use vegetable oil treated cherries)
1. Place 2 cups water in pan and add dried cherries and wild cherry bark.
2. Bring pot to boil, reduce to simmer, cover and let simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
3. Turn off heat, add hibiscus flowers and sugar and stir until dissolved. Cover and let steep until cool, about 1 1/2 hours.
4. Strain liquid through a fine mesh sieve, then through one or more coffee filters into a clean, sterile jar. Store concentrated extract in refrigerator for up to three months.
To mix Use a 16 ratio of concentrate to sparkling water. Adjust the ratio for more or less sweetness according to your personal dietary preferences and desired taste.
Garnish the drink with whole frozen, pitted cherries.