Homemade Root Beer
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Hands-on Time: 5 mins
Create a rounded, mild and homemade root beer using the beguiling flavors of sarsaparilla root, licorice and anise.
- 1/2 cup Frontier Cut & Sifted Indian Sarsaparilla Root
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Cut & Sifted Burdock Root
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Cut & Sifted Licorice Root
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Cut & Sifted Wild Cherry Bark
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Cut & Sifted Birch Bark
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Herbs of Italy Seasoning Blend
- 1 Frontier Organic Fair Trade Certified 3" Ceylon Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 Frontier Organic Whole Vanilla Bean
- 1 Frontier Organic Select Grade Star Anise
- 3 Frontier Organic Hand Select Whole Cloves
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
1. Combine all ingredients except the brown sugar in a stock pot.
2. Bring pot to boil, stir and reduce to a simmer. Cover and let simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
3. Turn off heat. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Cover and let mixture steep until cool, approximately 3 hours.
4. Strain liquid through a fine mesh sieve, then through one or more coffee filters into a clean, sterile jar. Store concentrated extract in refrigerator for up to three months.
To mix Use a 16 ratio of concentrate to sparkling water for a subtly sweet beverage. Adjust the ratio for more or less sweetness according to your personal dietary preferences and desired taste.