Italian Baked Eggplant
- Total Time: 1 hours 20 mins
- Hands-on Time: 20 mins
- Makes: 4 servings
Eggplant is a versatile vegetable that stars in many satisfying vegetarian meals. Hearty and full of zesty flavor, this classic Italian dish melds the flavors of Italy into scrumptious fare.
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Parsley Leaf Flakes 0.24 oz.
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Italian Seasoning Blend 0.64 oz.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh green pepper
- 2 cups fresh or canned tomatoes
- 1 eggplant
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1. In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, green pepper and parsley. Cook until tender. Add tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Cook until the tomatoes are tender and thick (approximately 20 minutes). Set aside.
2. In another skillet, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Peel eggplant and slice 1/4-inch thick. Mix milk and egg in a shallow bowl. Dip eggplant slices in egg and milk mixture and then in flour. Fry until brown.
3. In a 2-quart casserole layer half of the eggplant, then half of the tomato sauce, then half of the cheese. Repeat layers. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.