Jamaican Christmas Punch
- Total Time: 17 mins
- Hands-on Time: 10 mins
- Makes: 6 servings
Rumored to have more rum bars per capita than any other place, Jamaica loves a good rum punch. Combine with another native favorite, hibiscus tea – or “flor de Jamaica” as it's known in Latin America – and you’ve got a festively crimson holiday punch. Those of you in cold climates will love a little taste of the tropics while the snow falls!
- 1 cup Frontier Organic Cut & Sifted Hibiscus Flowers
- 20 Frontier Organic Whole Allspice
- 1 Frontier Select Grade Whole Star Anise
- 2 cups Frontier Organic Fair Trade Certified Cane Sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh ginger
- 2 1/2 cups rum
- 2 teaspoons Angostura Bitters
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups sparkling water
- 4 cups water
1. Combine the water, sweetener, ginger and spices in a pot. Bring to a boil, turn off and add the hibiscus. Allow tea to steep for 20 minutes and then strain and cool. Combine with the lemon juice and refrigerate overnight.
2. When ready to serve, mix with sparkling water in a pitcher.
3. For an alcoholic punch, add the bitters and rum when you add the lemon juice.
*Hibiscus is very astringent, so the amount of sweetener added may vary based on your taste. Better to start with less and add.