Peruvian Chicken Soup
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Hands-on Time: 15 mins
- Makes: 4 servings
A warm, hearty Peruvian soup made with chicken, vegetables, cilantro and lime, then brought to life with organic cumin and bay leaf.
- 1 Frontier Organic Bay Leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Coarse Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Cumin Seed
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup minced red onion
- 1/2 cup minced red pepper
- 1-pound chicken breast
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 1/2 cups 1/4-inch cubed Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/2 cup short grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 cup packed cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon aji amarillo paste or 1 serrano pepper, minced
- 1/3 cup minced scallions, plus more for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic
- Fresh lime wedges, for garnish
1. In a large pot with a heavy bottom over medium heat, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil. Add onion and peppers, cooking for 6 to 8 minutes, until onions are translucent, then remove from heat and transfer to bowl.
2. In the pot, heat remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil, then add chicken breast. Cook for 2 minutes on each side, just to sear. Add onion mixture, 3 cups chicken broth, potatoes, rice, peas, lime juice, cumin, bay leaf and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and let cook for about 35 minutes, until chicken is cooked and just before rice is done.
3. Remove chicken and using two forks, carefully shred chicken. Add it back to the pot along with cilantro mixture for another 5 to 10 minutes.
3. While the soup is cooking, in a blender, combine cilantro, aji amarillo, scallions, garlic and remaining 1 cup chicken broth. Pulse until well combined and semi-smooth, adding more chicken broth if needed.
4. Add blended mixture to pot and stir until well combined.
5. Garnish with cilantro, limes and scallions and serve.