Smoked Salmon Bruschetta
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Hands-on Time: 45 mins
- Makes: 12 servings
Spice smoked salmon with fragrant white pepper, pungent fenugreek and aromatic thyme for an elegant, wintertime twist on bruschetta.
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Fenugreek Seed
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Whole Thyme Leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Orgainc White Peppercorns with Grinder
- 1 pinch Frontier Table Grind Sea Salt
- 1 pinch Frontier Organic Medium Grind Black Pepper
- 10 to 12 ounces cold-smoked salmon, chopped
- 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 shallots, peeled and julienned (or substitute ½ a small red onion)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons capers, strained
- 1 loaf hearty, crusty bread such as sourdough, with plenty of air pockets and a thick crust
- 2 to 3 large cloves of garlic, peeled and split lengthwise
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the chopped smoked salmon with the oil, lemon zest, juice, shallots, capers and spices. Incorporate thoroughly and refrigerate for 1 hour to overnight.
2. Fire up your grill according to manufacturer’s instructions (real wood tastes best, but gas grills are fine for this purpose, too). If you don’t have access to a good hot grill, toast bread slices carefully under a broiler.
3. Cut the bread into 24 slices, each roughly 1/2-inch thick, 2 inches wide and 3 inches long in size.
4. Rub both sides thoroughly with the split side of a clove of garlic, then brush both sides lightly with olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and grill over medium heat, turning frequently, until charred with grill marks and golden brown but not burnt.
5. Serve immediately either with the salmon portioned onto each slice, or on the side for guests to scoop.
Servings 2 dozen