Smoky Chili con Carne
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Hands-on Time: 20 mins
- Makes: 3-4 servings
The notable absence of beans is what separates the original chili con carne (chili with meat) from other chili recipes. In this version of a classic, smoked paprika adds flavorful depth, richness and spicy robustness.
- 3 teaspoons Frontier No-Beef Broth Powder
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Smoked Ground Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons Frontier Organic Cut & Sifted Oregano Leaf
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Cumin Seed
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Coriander Seed
- 1 pinch Frontier Organic Ground Cayenne Chili Pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 bell pepper, minced
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound stew beef, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup ale or water
- 2 cups tomatoes, crushed
1. In a stockpot over medium-low heat, heat olive oil. Add minced red onion, pepper and jalapeño. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until onions are translucent and fragrant. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
2. Add beef and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, until meat is browning.
3. In a small bowl, combine ale or water and beef broth. Whisk.
4. Pour liquid into pot, then add tomatoes and spices. Stir until well combined. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and let simmer for 60 to 90 minutes. Taste and add additional spices if desired.