Spanish Paella with Saffron and Smoked Paprika
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Hands-on Time: 15 mins
- Makes: 6 to 8 servings
A tantalizing homemade Spanish paella recipe made with shrimp, chorizo and vegetables, then brought to life with organic, ethically sourced saffron and smoked paprika.
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Organic Saffron Threads
- 1 tablespoon Frontier Smoked Ground Paprika
- 1 3/4 teaspoons Frontier Coarse Sea Salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, finely diced
- 3/4 pound chorizo, removed from casing
- 1/2 pound shrimp
- 6 cups chicken, seafood or vegetable broth
- 2 cups paella rice
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 pound clams
- Flat leaf parsley, for garnish
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
1. In a small bowl, place crushed saffron and cover with hot water. Set aside.
2. Over medium heat, heat a 15-inch paella pan. Add olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until onions are fragrant.
3. Stir in tomatoes, chorizo and shrimp. Cook for 3 to 4 more minutes, flipping shrimp as needed until they have cooked through. Remove shrimp, transfer to plate and set aside.
4. Once the chorizo is cooked through, add smoked paprika, saffron with water, salt and broth. Bring to a boil, then sprinkle rice evenly over broth. Continue to cook, rotating the pan to evenly cook the rice but never stirring, for 15 to 20 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
5. To top of paella, add peas, artichoke hearts, shrimp and clams, placed hinge-side down. Cover with foil and continue to cook until remaining water has been absorbed and clams have fully opened. Discard any clams that did not open.
6. Serve with a sizable sprinkle of fresh parsley and lemon wedges