Spicy Lentil Stew
- Total Time: 1 hours 10 mins
- Hands-on Time: 10 mins
- Makes: 6 servings
A big-flavored lentil stew packed with carrots, peas, potatoes and tomatoes, then spiced up with African Berbere seasoning.
1. In a medium pot over medium-high heat, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add lentils and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes, until lentils are soft on the inside but not mushy. Drain and rinse lentils with cold water. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat with oven vent open, combine olive oil and Berbere seasoning. Heat until Berbere seasoning is fragrant. Add vegetables and sauté until vegetables are almost cooked through.
3. Add lentils, remaining 1 cup water and tomatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.