Stout Chocolate Cake with Irish Cream Ganache
- Makes: 1 cake servings
Irish or craft stout brings bold flavor to decadent chocolate cake glazed with a cream ganache that's spiked with coffee, vanilla, almond and whiskey for Irish flair.
- 2 cups Frontier Organic Fair Trade Certified Cocoa Powder (processed with akali)
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Coarse Sea Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Frontier Organic Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups (1 pint) room temperature stout beer
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, diced and divided
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces chopped semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon coffee extract
- 1 teaspoon Irish whiskey (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and dust a standard bundt pan with the extra cocoa powder.
2. In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine beer, 1 cup butter and cocoa powder, stirring occasionally, until the butter has melted.
3. Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or a large mixing bowl. Whisk white and brown sugar into chocolate mixture, then let stand 10 minutes, until cool. Add egg, vanilla, salt, baking soda and flour. Whisk until just combined.
4. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. When cool enough to handle, use a knife to loosen the cake from the pan and invert onto a rack or cake stand. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
5. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine remaining 1/4 cup butter, whipping cream, chocolate, almond extract, coffee extract, vanilla extract and whiskey. Whisk frequently until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat and cool, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes, until mixture has thickened.
6. Spread ganache glaze over cake, let cool and serve.