Vegan Pumpkin Pie
- Total Time: 1 hours 30 mins
- Hands-on Time: 20 mins
- Makes: 9 servings
Discover how to achieve a flaky crust and custard-like filling without butter, cream or eggs in this vegan pumpkin pie recipe.
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Table Grind Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons Frontier Organic Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoons Frontier Organic Ground Korintje Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Ginger Root
- 2 teaspoons Frontier Arrowroot Powder
- 2 teaspoons Frontier Organic Cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Cloves
- 1/3 cup cold coconut oil or vegetable shortening
- 3 teaspoons maple syrup
- 3 to 5 teaspoons cold water
- 2 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons sorghum syrup or molasses
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and have a 9-inch pie pan ready.
2. In a food processor, combine flour and sea salt. Add cold coconut oil and pulse until the coconut oil is in small pieces. Add maple syrup, pulsing a few more times until combined. Finally, add 2 tablespoons of water, pulse, and continue to add water 1 tablespoon at a time until dough starts to pull together. Remove from food processor and form dough into a disc.
3. On a well-floured surface, roll the dough out to a circle that is slightly larger than the pie pan. Transfer to the pie pan, crimp the edges, and pierce the bottom a few times with a fork. Pre-bake the pie crust for 8 minutes.
4. While pie crust bakes, whisk together the ingredients for the filling until well combined. Pour into the pie crust and return to the oven.
5. Bake pie for 55 to 60 minutes. Filling should have slightly puffed and be a darker color. Remove from oven and let cool completely before serving.
Note This pie is best made a day before, giving it ample time to set.