Wheatberry Salad with Harvest Roasted Vegetables
- Total Time: 1 hours 20 mins
- Hands-on Time: 20 mins
- Makes: 9 servings
Dress roasted vegetables and wheatberries with a simple, organic cinnamon and cumin vinaigrette for a harvest salad that’s worthy of a special occasion.
- 3/4 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Cumin Seed
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Ground Korintje Cinnamon
- 1 cup Frontier Organic Whole Pumpkin Seeds
- 3 to 4 ounces goat cheese (optional)
- 1 cup wheatberries
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 parsnip
- 1 small rutabaga
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium golden beets
- 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 to 5 cups loose-leaf salad mix
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
1. Rinse wheatberries, place in a pot and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil and cook for 50 to 60 minutes until tender. Wheatberries will still be slightly chewy. Drain and set aside.
2. While wheatberries cook, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Peel the sweet potato, parsnip, rutabaga and beets then dice into ¼-inch cubes. Cut end off the Brussels sprouts and slice in half.
3. In a bowl, combine cubed vegetables and Brussels sprouts along with olive oil. Spread out in a single layer on a baking tray. Roast vegetables until lightly browning and tender, 35 to 45 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly.
4. To assemble salad, toss together salad mix, cooked wheatberries, roasted vegetables, cranberries and pumpkin seeds. Combine the ingredients for the dressing in jar with a lid and shake until combined. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until salad is coated.
5. Crumble 3 to 4 ounces of goat cheese over top, if desired.