Blood Orange Tres Leches Cupcakes
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Hands-on Time: 20 mins
- Makes: 12 servings
A citrusy take on traditional tres leches cupcakes with fresh blood orange juice and organic ground cardamom.
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Vanilla Extract 2 fl. oz.
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Baking Soda Powder 1 lb
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Aluminum-Free Baking Powder 5 lbs
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Fine Sea Salt 7 oz.
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Decorticated Cardamom Seed Powder 2.08 oz.
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon blood orange juice
- 2 teaspoons blood orange zest, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine butter and sugar. Beat on medium until well combined.
2. Turn mixer speed to low and add eggs and vanilla. Beat, scraping down the sides. Add in baking soda, baking powder, salt and cardamom. Add flour and buttermilk, continuing to mix on low until batter is just combined.
3. Heat oven to 375 degrees and line a cupcake tin with 12 liners. 4. Divide batter into papers and bake for 22 to 25 minutes. Cupcakes should be golden and spring back when lightly pressed.
4. While the cupcakes bake, whisk together evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, 1/4 cup blood orange juice, and blood orange zest.
5. When cupcakes are removed from the oven, poke a few holes in the top of each. Carefully pour a small amount of the milk mixture into each cupcake. Transfer cupcakes to refrigerator and let cool for 1 hour.
5. When cupcakes are cool and set, whip heavy cream until peaks start to form. Whip in powdered sugar and remaining tablespoon blood orange juice. Spread a spoonful of whipped cream on top of each cupcake and serve with a garnish of blood orange zest and sprinkle of cardamom.