Buche de Noel
The yule log is the center of many European Christmas celebrations; Buche de Noel is the traditional French dessert yule log. Our version uses a light chocolate cake, whipped cream filling, and buttercream chocolate frosting.
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Grease a jelly roll pan (15 1/2x10 1/2x1 inch), then line with aluminum foil and grease again.
3. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
4. In another bowl, blend egg yolks and 1/2 cup of the sugar until creamy. Add vanilla and water and mix well.
5. In another bowl—with clean beaters— beat egg whites until fluffy. Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff and glossy.
6. Add the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture, a little at a time, until blended. Fold in egg whites.
7. Pour into jelly roll pan and spread to the edges. Bake until cake tests done, about 15 minutes (don’t overbake).
8. While cake is baking, lay a clean dishtowel on the table and dust it with the 1/4 cup sifted confectioner’s sugar. When cake is done, loosen edges and quickly turn over onto the towel. Remove foil or waxed paper. Roll the cake, with the towel, from the narrow end. Place on a cooling rack until completely cooled.
9. To make filling, cream together the heavy cream, confectioner’s sugar, and vanilla. When cake is cooled, unroll and spread with cream filling, from edge to edge. Roll the cake up again.
10. To make frosting, beat butter, confectioner’s sugar, cream and melted chocolate until well blended. (If too dry, add more cream, one drop at a time. If too runny, add confectioner’s sugar, a tablespoon at a time.)
11. Frost rolled cake, then use the prongs of a fork to make shallow “bark” grooves in the frosting. Decorate with holiday greenery and a candle.
As prepared, each serving contains 280 calories, 18g total fat, 115mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 28g total carbohydrate and 4g protein.