Eggplant in Spicy Yogurt Sauce
This dish is very refreshing, especially during hot summer days.
1 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 garlic clove, minced
1/8 teaspoon Frontier Organic Chili Powder
1/8 teaspoon Frontier Organic Black Pepper
1/4 teaspoon Frontier Organic Cumin
1/4 teaspoon Frontier Organic Coriander
1/4 teaspoon Frontier Kosher Salt
, or to taste
1 or 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, chopped
1 large eggplant or 3 long Asian eggplants
canola oil spray
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. To make spice mixture, simply combine all spices in a small bowl.
3. To make yogurt sauce, simply combine all ingredients together (except fresh coriander leaves) in a small bowl. If too thick, add more buttermilk.
4. Cut eggplant lengthwise about 1/4 inch thick. Place foil on the baking sheet (for easy cleanup). Put eggplant slices on the baking sheet, spray with canola oil and sprinkle with spice mixture. Turn them over and repeat. Bake about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
5. Cut eggplant slices in half one more time to create smaller pieces. Place eggplant pieces in serving bowl with yogurt sauce. Mix gently and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve with plain basmati rice, or as a salad or appetizer.
You can use any kind of eggplant for this recipe. I like to use Ping Tung long eggplants.
As prepared, each serving contains 90 calories, 2g total fat, 5mg cholesterol, 490mg sodium, 15g total carbohydrate and 6g protein.