Orange Cardamom Bells
Kids love making these bell shapes (no cookie cutters needed) and adding the clappers. Try this recipe in place of your regular sugar cookie recipe for other shapes, too.
2/3 cup margarine or butter (scant 11 tablespoons)
1 cup Frontier Organic Cane Sugar
1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Vanilla Extract
1 tablespoon Frontier Orange Flavor
4 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon Frontier Organic Cardamom Seeds
1/4 teaspoon Frontier Sea Salt Frontier Organic Cane Sugar
, for sprinkling
gumdrops or walnut pieces (for clappers)
1. Beat butter and sugar together. Add egg, vanilla, orange extract and orange juice concentrate. Mix well.
2. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cardamom and salt.
3. Add dry ingredients to wet, a little at a time, and mix.
4. Cover and refrigerate for an hour or more.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
6. On a floured surface, roll dough out to 1/8 inch thickness. Using a small, floured glass or cup rim, cut 1 1/2 inch rounds and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
7. Sprinkle with sugar. Place clapper (gum drop sliced in half lengthwise or walnut piece) on the center bottom of each circle. Fold sides of the circle together over the clapper to form a three-dimensional bell shape. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
8. Bake until bottoms are lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on cooling rack.