Seafood and Sausage Gumbo
When it comes to gumbo and many other southern dishes, it's all about the roux -- a cooked mix of flour and fat that is used to thicken the stock and serve as the basis for the gumbo. The gumbo recipe below calls for a roux and gives instructions on how to prepare it.
1/3 cup vegetable oil
5 ounces okra, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 red bell pepper, seeded and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
3/4 onion, finely diced
1 1/4 celery ribs, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
2 3/4 cups fish stock or clam juice
1 1/4 Frontier Organic Bay Leaf
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Frontier Cajun Seasoning
7 ounces andouille sausage, cut into 5-inch slices
11 ounces large shrimp, peeled
11 ounces lump crabmeat
2 tablespoons parsley, minced
1. Heat 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon oil in a heavy soup pot over medium heat. Stir in okra and reduce heat to low. Cook gently about 25 minutes, until okra is very soft. Remove okra from pan and set aside.
2. To make the roux, wipe out pan with a paper towel. Add remaining oil and set over medium high heat. When oil is very hot, gradually add flour, whisking constantly as it is added. Switch to a wooden spoon and cook 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the roux takes on a rich, medium dark brown color. Be sure to watch carefully so the roux doesn't burn!
3. Carefully stir in bell peppers, onion and celery. Reduce heat to medium low and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften. Add garlic and stir 30 seconds. Add okra, tomatoes, fish stock, bay leaves, Cajun seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently 30 minutes.
4. Add sausage, shrimp and crabmeat. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, just until shrimp are pink and curled.
5. Remove and discard bay leaves. Stir in parsley. Season with hot sauce to taste.
Serve over rice.
For true Louisiana flavor, add this saucy blend to rice, beans, meat and seafood. Stir it into soups or stews, or sprinkle it on foods before grilling or broiling.
Frontier offers top quality natural and organic cajun seasoning in multiple packaging options to suit your needs.
Complete product information, including description, product ingredients and price.
More Delicious Recipes
As prepared, each serving contains 140 calories, 8g total fat, 55mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 5g total carbohydrate and 12g protein.