Red wine gives pickled products a rich, full-flavored taste. It also enhances the color of the beets nicely in this recipe.
3 pounds beets
1 cup Frontier Organic Cane Sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup red wine
1 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons Frontier Pickling Salt
1 Frontier Organic Cinnamon Stick
1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Whole Allspice
1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Whole Cloves
1. Boil the beets until just tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and plunge in cold water. Slide the skins off the beets. Cut beets into 1/4- to 1/2 inch slices and pack in clean canning jars.
2. Place sugars, wine, vinegar, and salt in a pot. Place the cinnamon, allspice and cloves in a muslin teabag or a piece of cheesecloth and tie closed. Add to the pot. Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring, about 8 minutes.
3. Pour the syrup over the beets, leaving 1/2 inch space at the top of the jars.
4. Cover jars and process for half an hour in boiling water bath.
5. Place cooled jars in a dark cupboard for about a month before opening.
As prepared, each serving contains 80 calories, 0g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 290mg sodium, 18g total carbohydrate and 1g protein.