Customizable Skin Care
Homemade Skin Care Made Easy
The path to wellness includes mindful decisions about your skin care routines. Creating your own skin care products can be a fun and effective way to ensure you know what you are putting on your body.
1) CHOOSE YOUR BOTANICALS
We’ve chosen the most beneficial and popular botanicals for homemade skin care and listed them with their properties. Choose your botanical combination for the base of your skin care product.
2) MAKE YOUR INFUSED HERBAL BODY OIL
Once you’ve chosen the botanicals for your specific needs, you’ll make an infused body oil which can be used directly or as part of another skin care application in the following recipes.
3) CHOOSE YOUR RECIPE
Use your herbal body oil as the base ingredients for other beneficial skin care products. Whether you’re in need of a face mask, or a body balm, we’ve included some easy and fun recipes for making your own skin care applications.
Choose Your Botanicals
Here’s the scoop on how to choose the right ingredients for homemade skin care.
When infused with carrier oil and used for skin care, calendula (commonly known as marigold, though different than “garden marigold”), is well-known for its gentle, soothing and conditioning properties. Choose calendula to add natural and vibrant color to your homemade skin care products.
Green tea is a skin care powerhouse, when infused with oil, it offers soothing, protecting and nourishing moisture. It is particularly well suited for facial care through products such as masks, cleansers, lotions and creams. Choose green tea to boost the replenishing power of your homemade skin care products.
Infusing thyme in oil offers powerful protecting and soothing properties to skin care. Skin care oil infused with thyme provides nourishing moisture, making the skin more resilient and contributing to a healthy glow. In addition to its powerful skin care benefits, choose thyme in your homemade skin care products for its uplifting herbal aroma that can transform your skin care routine into a full spa-like experience.
Unlike many plants that more recently became popular ingredients for skin care, echinacea has been used for its wide variety of benefits for centuries. When infused in carrier oil for use in skin care, echinacea offers soothing and protecting moisture.
When used for skin care, oil infused rose petals offer deep cleansing and protecting moisture. Choose rose petals in your homemade skin care products for cleansing. They also offer a rich floral aroma.
When infused in oil, chickweed is known for its ability to rejuvenate and soothe the skin with moisture. It is especially effective when used as anemollient.
Oil infused chamomile is known to be a powerfully rejuvenating and protective skin care moisturizer. Chamomile promotes healthy, glowing skin, and can increase the effectiveness of other skin care products applied afterward. It’s also especially suited for nourishing dry skin.
When used infused in carrier oil, lavender flowers are incredibly versatile, offering refreshing, rejuvenating, soothing, and nourishing moisture. Lavender flowers also lend their well-known sweet, floral aroma to homemade products, enhancing the skin care practice with a sense of calm and balance.
Well loved rosemary brings both rejuvenating, stimulating and protecting moisture and a refreshing floral aroma to skin care when infused in oil. Choose rosemary for your homemade skin care products to contribute to the skin’s revitalization and protection.
Carrier oil infused yarrow flowers cleanse, stimulate and invigorate the skin. Yarrow also lends its pleasant, slightly spicy floral aroma. Choose yarrow flowers for your homemade skin care products that seek to cleanse and invigorate.
Make Your Infused Herbal Body Oil
Making infused body oil is easy. Just pick the herbs from the list and let desired strength be the guide. The result is a custom-infused oil.
Makes: 6 Tablespoons
Total Time: 1½ hours
½ cup of the dried herb of your choice
3/4 cup skin care oil (i.e., jojoba oil)
- In a small saucepan, place dried herbs then add oil. Make sure the oil completely covers the herbs.
- Heat the herbs and oil over low heat for 10 minutes. Then remove from heat, cover and allow to sit for 1 hour.
- Strain the herbs out of the oil using a cheesecloth or a strainer.
- Fully cooled oil should be used right away in skin care recipes.
Discard remaining after use. Do not use on damaged skin and discontinue use if redness or irritation occurs.
Choose Your Recipes
Exfoliating Sugar Scrub
Sugar scrubs provide gentle yet effective exfoliation. Homemade scrubs go a step further by allowing you to add your own oil infusions that can also drench and soothe skin with moisture.
Total time: 5 minutes
- 6 Tbsp Frontier Co-op Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 ½ Tbsp Herbal-Infused Oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar and oil.
- Mix thoroughly, adding more oil or sugar if a slightly different consistency is desired.
- To use, apply to skin using a gentle circular motion. Rinse with warm water, pat dry and massage the remaining oil into your skin.
Calming Green Tea Face Mask
Your face will love this mask. French green clay powder is full of minerals and nutrients, as well as micro molecules, which enhance absorption. The clay tones, stimulates, and cleanses pores, while the green tea balances skin.
Makes: 1 application
Total time: 5 minutes
- 1 tablespoon Frontier Co-op French Green Clay Powder
- 1 tablespoon Herbal-Infused Oil
- 4 tablespoon brewed Frontier Co-op Organic Indian Green Tea
- In a mixing bowl, stir all ingredients together until a smooth paste forms.
- Stir in additional clay or water to reach the consistency desired.
- To use, apply to face, and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse off with warm water.
Shea and Beeswax Body Bar
Beeswax beads are used in lip balm, hand lotions and moisturizers. Mixed with herbal infused oil and shea butter, this convenient body bar makes moisturizing easy.
Makes: 16 cubes
Total time: 20 minutes
- ¼ cup Frontier Co-op White Beeswax Beads
- ¼ cup Unscented Shea Butter
- ¼ cup Herbal-Infused Oil
- Standard ice cube tray or silicon ice cube mold
- In a double boiler, mix all ingredients together and melt over medium heat.
- Once melted, pour mixture into the tray, and let cool.
- Take cooled body bars out of tray.
- To use, apply to skin like a lotion.
Beeswax Salve with Infused Herbs
Beeswax possesses many of the same properties as honey. Add the beeswax beads to an herbal infused oil to create a salve that provides soothing moisture.
Makes: 4-ounce portion
Total time: 20 minutes
- 6 tablespoons Herbal Infused Oil
- 1 1/2tablespoon Frontier Co-op White Beeswax Beads
- In a double boiler, combine oils and beeswax, stirring occasionally over medium heat until melted.
- Pour into a 4-ounce glass jar.
- Let cool.
- To use, apply to skin as needed.
Discard remaining after use.
Do not use on damaged skin and discontinue use if redness or irritation occurs.