Chickpea and Lentil Vegan Gumbo
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Hands-on Time: 30 mins
- Makes: 6 servings
Enjoy the flavors of traditional New Orleans' cuisine in this hearty and colorful, gumbo-inspired stew that's packed with healthy vegetables, lentils and chickpeas.
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Whole Thyme Leaf
- 3 teaspoons Frontier Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Flavored Broth Powder
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Original Seafood Seasoning
- 1 pinch Frontier Table Grind Sea Salt
- 1 pinch Frontier Organic Medium Grind Black Pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 sweet orange peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 cup okra, cut into 1-inch thick pieces
- 4 red potatoes, chopped into small half moons
- 1/2 cup dry red lentils
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 4 cups water
- 3 to 4 dashes hot sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
1. Heat a large pot over medium-low heat.
2. Add olive oil and slowly whisk in flour. Continue to whisk until mixture is medium brown, thick and bubbly, around 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Add the celery, onion, carrots and Seafood Seasoning, and stir until veggies soften, around 5 minutes. Add water to the mixture a little at a time if mixture starts to stick.
4. Add garlic and continue to cook for 1 more minute.
5. Turn heat up to medium high and add tomatoes, sweet peppers, okra, potatoes, lentils, chickpeas, thyme, broth powder, brown sugar and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and let the soup simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.
6. Add 1/2 cup water to gumbo if you desire a thinner stew consistency. Taste and then add lemon juice, salt, pepper and a dash or two of the Frontier Seafood Seasoning just before serving. Add hot sauce if desired.