Spicy Mixed Greens Shakshuka with Goat Cheese
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Hands-on Time: 10 mins
- Makes: 4 servings
An easy breakfast or dinner, this shakshuka has a spicy chipotle base that's balanced with creamy goat cheese and hearty mixed greens.
- 1 tablespoon Frontier Ground Chipotle Pepper 2.15 oz.
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Fine Sea Salt 7 oz.
- 2 teaspoons + 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 cups packed shredded kale
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 large eggs
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- Cilantro, for topping
- Crust bread, for serving
1. Heat a 12-inch skillet with deep sides over medium-low heat. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil followed by shredded kale. Cook, stirring continuously, for about 2 to 3 minutes, until kale starts to wilt.
2. Add spinach and continue to cook for another minute or 2, until kale and spinach are slightly wilted. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
3. Return skillet to stovetop over medium heat. Add remaining tablespoon olive oil followed by shallot and jalapeño. Cook for 4 minutes, until shallots are translucent and fragrant.
4. Add garlic and cook for a minute more. Stir in chipotle powder, cumin and salt. Toast for 15 seconds, then add crushed tomatoes. Reduce heat to low and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until tomato sauce starts to thicken.
5. Stir in cooked greens, then make 4 wells in the tomato sauce. Crack eggs into sauce, cover and let cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until egg whites are set, but yolks are still runny. With a few minutes left, sprinkle top with goat cheese. Serve with slices of crusty bread and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
To balance out the heat, serve with yogurt.