Biscuits and Gravy
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Hands-on Time: 10 mins
- Makes: 8 servings
For an unusually light take on a decadent breakfast favorite, serve this gravy over whole-grain English muffins rather than biscuits. You'll shave an extra 100 calories off your meal, and the crispy texture goes great with gravy.
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Black Peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Smoked Ground Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Whole Yellow Mustard Seed
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Crushed Red Chili Peppers
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Rubbed Sage Leaf
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced carrot (1 carrot)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp)
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
- 8 whole-grain biscuits
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoons unbleached flour
Bring lentils and 3 cups water to a boil in 2-quart saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 30 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, and set aside.
Heat oil over medium-high heat in large skillet. Add onion and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bell pepper, carrot, and garlic, and cook 5 to 8 more minutes, or until vegetables are tender but not mushy. Stir in flour, black pepper, paprika, mustard, red pepper flakes, and sage; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, stirring after each addition. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, whisking constantly, until gravy comes to a gentle boil. Remove from heat, and stir in ranch dressing and drained lentils.
Split biscuits or English muffins. Lightly toast English muffins, if using. Place biscuits on plates, and top with gravy.