Frontier Co-op Donates $60,000 for Derecho Relief
NORWAY, IOWA (Sept. 9, 2020) – Frontier Co-op is donating $60,000 to six local community partners in response to the August 10 derecho that impacted Cedar Rapids and its surrounding communities.
“We are so proud of the resilience our local partners have shown in response to this natural disaster,” said Alicia Simmons, Sustainability Manager at Frontier Co-op. “Our hope is that these grants will help allow these organizations to focus their work on the front lines, providing critical support as our community begins to rebuild.”
Grants in the amount of $10,000 per organization will be distributed to the following long-time, Frontier Co-op community partners:
- Hawkeye Area Community Action Program (HACAP): Food insecurity is on the rise in our region as a result of COVID-19 and the derecho. This donation will go toward their Mobile Food Pantry to help support their work delivering healthy food to those in need. If you’d like to support HACAP’s work feeding the most vulnerable in our community, you can donate at http://weblink.donorperfect.com/giveHACAP
- Willis Dady: The widespread vehicle damage caused by the Derecho has created a growing need for transportation assistance in our area. Willis Dady Homeless Services will use this donation to help meet that increased need via its transportation services, a component of their Employment Program. Steady employment is essential to maintaining stable housing opportunities, and reliable transportation is crucial in that equation. To support Willis Dady in this important work, community members can donate at https://www.willisdady.org/donate
- Matthew 25: Donation will help support work to restore Matthew 25’s urban farm that was damaged by the derecho, including a new roof for their greenhouse, repairing fences and walkways, and replanting fruit trees lost in the storm. There is still a lot of work to do; community members can help support Matthew 25’s work by donating at hub25.org/donate or by purchasing and donating tools and supplies they need from their Amazon wish list at https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/1UXBVGN1VMFW4?ref_=wl_share
- Catherine McAuley Center: This important hub for immigrant and refugee populations in our community sustained significant damage to their new building during the storm; less than one month after their move. Frontier’s donation will go to support their disaster recovery work and relief efforts as their staff work diligently to assist these underserved and underrepresented populations through this difficult time. Community members who wish to support this work can do so at https://cmc-cr.org/give/
- Feed Iowa First: Frontier’s gift will support a matching donation campaign to help rebuild and replace their greenhouse and other equipment destroyed by the storm. Feed Iowa First needs the continued help of our community as they strive to meet increased need for access to healthy, organic food. Because of this, Frontier will match the first $10,000 of community donations received for this storm recovery. To participate in this match program and support the important work Feed Iowa First does to address food insecurity in our area, community members can donate at http://www.feediowa1st.com/donate
- Indian Creek Nature Center: Funds will be used for land restoration and trail clearing. Derecho-caused destruction is widespread across Indian Creek Nature Center's 500 acres. In addition to work on land and trails, several buildings and other critical infrastructure sustained damage. Community members who wish to make a financial contribution to support the Nature Center can do so at https://indiancreeknaturecenter.org/join-give/donate/. The Nature Center is also in need of volunteers to help with this recovery work. Community members who wish to donate their time can volunteer at https://signup.com/go/DLorXro.
Frontier Co-op is a cooperative made up of 40,000+ member owners. Our unique structure allows us to put our purpose – “Doing Good, Works” – first. This rallying cry drives everything we do, ensuring that our business practices do good things for our planet, our growers, our employees and our communities. We offer two unique brands of bottled seasonings and extracts – Frontier Co-op® and Simply Organic®. These two brands offer you a broad range of herbs, spices, seasoning blends and flavor extracts to choose from. Aura Cacia® is our brand of essential oils and botanical-based personal care products. Each brand includes everything from non-GMO to USDA-certified organic and Fair Trade Certified™ products. Learn more at frontiercoop.com.