Preserved Lemons with Spices
Hands-on Time: 20 mins
Makes: 1 quart
1-quart wide-mouth canning jar with tight-fitting lid
1 3/4 pounds organic lemons, seeds removed, juiced (reserving juice), skin cut into 8 wedges per lemon
1 tablespoon Frontier Co-op Organic Pickling Spice
1. Into canning jar, alternate adding salt, pickling spice and lemon skin wedges, packing down tightly as you go, until everything is in jar.
2. Pour reserved juice into jar over other ingredients.
3. Close jar lid tightly and leave at room temperature.
4. Once per day for the first few days, open lid, pack down contents until liquid rises over them, and reclose lid tightly.
5. The lemons are done after two weeks minimum, but they continue to develop indefinitely, as long as they're kept at room temperature. Alternatively, once they're done, you can store them in the refrigerator.