Grilled Vegan Coconut Curry Tofu Skewers
Total Time: 0 hrs 20 mins
Hands-on Time: 0 hrs 10 mins
Makes: 5 servings
- 2 teaspoons Curry powder organic
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder organic
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt regular 5# pkg.
- 2 teaspoons Sesame seed hulled organic
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- Juice and zest from 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons minced cilantro, to serve
- Olive oil, for grill
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu, pressed of excess moisture
- 1 red onion
1. In a bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the marinade.
2. Cut the tofu into roughly 24 1-inch cubes and place in a bowl. Pour the marinade over the tofu and gently fold the tofu and marinade together until tofu is covered. Cover, refrigerate and let sit for at least two hours before grilling.
3. Preheat your grill. Real wood charcoal tastes best, but gas works fine. Avoid instant-light briquettes as they make food taste like lighter fluid. Aim for medium heat – if your grill lid has a thermometer built into the lid, it should read about 350 degrees.
4. Cut the red onion in half and cut each half into 8 similar-sized chunks.
5. Thread the skewers, alternating 2 to 3 layers of onion and tofu until you have 4 pieces of tofu and five pieces of onion. Continue with remaining tofu and onion.
6. Place some olive oil on a towel and carefully rub the grates with the oil so the tofu doesn’t stick. Place the skewers on the grill over the lowest heat and cook, turning skewers every 1 to 2 minutes and brushing with excess curry marinade. Cook until the tofu is golden and the onions are starting to char, 8 to 12 minutes depending on the grill heat.
7. Remove skewers from the grill and sprinkle with sesame seeds and cilantro before serving.