Grilled Veggie Sandwich with Smoked Paprika and Turmeric
Total Time: 0 hrs 25 mins
Hands-on Time: 0 hrs 15 mins
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Turmeric root ground organic
- 3/4 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Paprika, Smoked, Ground 1.87 oz.
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Sea Salt, Table Grind 5 lb.
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Black Pepper, Medium Grind, Organic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- Zest from one lemon
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large red onion
- 1 clove garlic, sliced in half
- 1 cup hummus
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce
1. In a bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the marinade or combine in a blender and puree until emulsified.
2. Slice the eggplant and onion into 1⁄4-inch slices, roughly 12 slices of eggplant and 4 to 6 slices of onion. Cut the sides off the red pepper and discard the top and the seeds. Lay cut vegetables on a sheet tray covered with parchment paper (for easy clean up).
3. Brush all the vegetables with the marinade, flip and brush again. Cover and let sit for at least 2 hours before grilling. Reserve the remaining marinade for brushing while grilling.
4. Preheat your grill. Real wood charcoal tastes best, but gas works fine. Avoid instant-light briquettes as they make food taste like lighter fluid. Aim for medium-low heat – if your grill lid has a thermometer built into the lid, it should read about 325 degrees.
5. Place the marinated vegetables on the grill (or on a grill pan) and cook on each side for 2 to 3 minutes, brushing with the marinade every minute or so. Continue to cook and flip vegetables until lightly charred, 6 to 10 minutes depending on heat of grill.
6. Remove vegetables from grill. Slice the ciabatta rolls in half. Brush the cut sides with olive oil and rub with the garlic. Place cut side down and grill for 30 to 60 seconds, just until the bun is crisp and lightly browning.
7. Assemble the sandwiches with a leaf of lettuce, 2 to 3 slices of eggplant, one slice of roasted red pepper and 1 slice of onion. Spread 1/4 cup of hummus on the top bun and place on the sandwich.
From this recipe
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Paprika, Smoked, Ground 1.87 oz. SKU: 19523$6.99
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Sea Salt, Table Grind 5 lb. SKU: 193$13.30
Frontier Co-op Frontier Organic Ground Turmeric Root 1.41 oz. SKU: 18459$6.29
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Black Pepper, Medium Grind, Organic 1.80 oz. SKU: 18437$8.69